Friday, September 21, 2007

I think I've almost used up all the princess band-aids Sarah gave me when I first came here... I keep cutting up my feet or getting bug bites on my legs that I avoid scratching by putting band-aids on them. I wore my old sneaker-converse shoes to get groceries today and I tore a big chunk of skin off of left ankle.. But it doesn't hurt, so.. yay.

I've taken for granted the simple pleasure of walking to the store to buy groceries. And the act of buying groceries... it's fun to go into Publix and know what I want and check out all the deals.. haha. It's especially excellent when the bill is less than $50.00 (when usually it's over $100.00) and when you can shove a bunch of the groceries in your backpack and only have to carry two bags. (Makes the walk back much easier!)

My mom sent me some really good tea too from the Farmer's Market (Thanks, Mom!) so I'm trying to use that as long as it lasts..

And Derrick sent me a surprise: (I absolutely couldn't love him more <3)











I went to Give Kids the World on Wednesday and I had two of the sweetest kids from North Carolina named Olivia (10) and Isaac (8). They were so cute! Isaac told jokes and Olivia sang, she even sang Somewhere Over the Rainbow in the 'Village Idol' that we had where kids showcased their talents. And I got her autograph! We had pizza and the volunteers got cake (with M&M icing) while the kids had pudding. And we got to run around and play in the 'castle'. And there was a joke-telling troll named 'Tom' that spoke to the kids and I don't know how they did it.. he was really Disney real. And they had dress-up clothes and stars all over the ceiling. And everything in the "village" was made to look like cookies or big sundae stores or kitchens in the shape of cupcakes. The families get to stay there all expenses paid which is really neat and the kids told me all about going to the parks and Seaworld and everything. Really great. It surprised me when one of my roommates said she could never do it because they're kids who are terminally ill - they really are the sweetest kids and you forget that they're there for a reason.

Tomorrow I think I am going to Beaches and Cream after work for hamburgers and shakes.. and then I have Monday and Tuesday off.. which I think will be my last days off before I go home. And I work 9AM until 9PM on Friday the 28th because of Food and Wine.. so, that'll be a long day.

13 days until I get to come home to visit!!

2 Comments:

At September 21, 2007 at 2:46 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I'm glad you went to give the kids the world. Not all the kids end up term. ill, Liz's brother Chris went to disneys with Make a Wish and then had a ful recovery.

 
At October 13, 2007 at 9:14 PM , Blogger Tom Folery said...

This is from a 'close friend' of Tom's who coincidentaly happens to be also be a 'close friend' of the host of Village Idol.
I'm glad you had a wonderful time there and I hope you come back someday. We always need more volunteers and we hope you come back someday.
Take care till then

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home